An introduction to the Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), also known as Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL). The curriculum covers historical and contemporary methods for teaching ESL and examines the connections between research in Second Language Acquisition (SLA) and classroom practice. Emphasis on practical tools for helping ESL learners gain proficiency in English. Admission to this minor requires the completion of ENG 1110, ENG 1120, and ENG 2110.
What kind of classes will I take?
Students must take the following courses to complete the minor in English as a Second Language:
- MIS 4521 – Cross-Cultural Communication 3 semester hr(s).
- ENG 3610 – Introduction to Linguistics 3 semester hr(s).
- ENG 4810 – Second Language Acquisition 3 semester hr(s).
- ENG 4820 – English Grammar 3 semester hr(s).
- ENG 4830 – ESL Teaching Methods 3 semester hr(s).
- ENG 4850 – TESL Internship 3 semester hr(s).